[fpc-devel] FPC 2.2.2 on Linux/SPARC

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Sep 11 20:24:39 CEST 2008

On 11 Sep 2008, at 15:02, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> Jonas Maebe wrote:
>
>>> It's been merged to 2.2.3 now. You can either download the source
>>> zipfile from ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/snapshot/v22/source/fpc.zip
>>> , or get it from svn as described here: http://www.freepascal.org/develop.var#svn
>>>  (make sure you use the checkout url mentioned in the "Fixes to
>>> 2.2.x" section).
>> fpc and fp appear to work on linux/sparc. However trying to single-
>> step or run to a breakpoint in fp fails with another bus error or
>> misaligned data access- do I stand any realistic chance of
>> generating a useful backtrace for this?
>
> I've had no success trying to drive fpc interactively across ttys to
> get
> to the point of failure.

Indeed, the tty redirection doesn't work very will in combination with
raw terminal modes.

> However while tinkering I found that failure
> depends on compilation options:
>
> none		Fails (fpc reports RTE 217)
> "OPT=-g"	Fails as above
> "OPT=-O- -g"	No failure
> "OPT=-O-"	No failure
> "OPT=-O1 -g"	Fails as above
>
> Using the last of those and driving the debugger blind I get
[snip]
> If I'm interpreting that correctly then either the command blocks in
> #14 and #13 are wrong when the Pascal code is optimised (I have not
> recompiled the GDB interface library), or find_pc_sect_line is
> finding something it doesn't like. In case it's the former here are
> the full lines:

I don't see what's wrong in the code at first sight. The command in
frame 14 already seems wrong though, since frame 15 is gdbcon.pp:251,
wich should pass 'run' rather than 'cd ' to gdb (the 'cd ' stuff comes
from gdbcon.pp:195).

But I'm not an IDE developer in any way, I'm purely a compiler/rtl
person. There are few IDE developers left though.

Jonas