[fpc-devel] clocale unit

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Sep 11 08:36:50 CEST 2008

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Paul Ishenin wrote:

> Hello, FPC developers' list
>
> Please explain why clocale must be included as a separate unit to the project?
> Why not include it into unix sysutils?

Because we don't want a FPC binary to depend on Libc by default.
All LibC dependencies are optional.

If Graeme Geldenhuys finds the time, he'll code a native
Object Pascal replacement for the clocale unit. That
replacement could go in SysUtils.
(that is, he said he'd give it a try)

> Can we freely use it in lazarus or we can get problems?

Lazarus should not be a problem, because you always use the C library
anyway since you are connecting to X via the X client libs...

Michael.