[fpc-devel] assign constant text to widestring

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Thu Oct 23 19:36:39 CEST 2008

Op Thu, 23 Oct 2008, schreef JoshyFun:

> Hello Daniël,
>
> Thursday, October 23, 2008, 5:34:59 PM, you wrote:
>
> DM> Don't overexagerate, this is true with plain ASCII as well. Non-English
> DM> software exists already for over 5 decades and nothing has stopped us to
> DM> write code that performs the functions you name.
>
> I'm not overexagerating, the question:
>
>> MS> Which kind of UCS2 based function do you think are tied to a
>> MS> language(group) ?
>
> needs this answer.

You indeed answered the question, but my point is the answer could just as
well have been "none", since many software is correctly functioning with
non language specific implementations of these procedures. Wether or not
language specific code has to be used depends on the desired functionality
of the software. I.e. a Word processor will use language specific codes, a
Unix command line text processing utility uses language independend code.

Daniël