[fpc-devel] Executable stack

joost at cnoc.nl joost at cnoc.nl
Sun Oct 19 20:24:37 CEST 2008

> On 19 Oct 2008, at 12:22, Jonas Maebe wrote:
>
> > On 19 Oct 2008, at 12:00, joost at cnoc.nl wrote:
> >
> >> A new feature of the Fedora-rpm-build tools is that it searches for
> >> executables that permit to execute code on the stack.
> >> It seems like that fpc allows this, but is it also necessary? So is
> >> it
> >> possible to disallow this in the compiler, or is that impossible?
> >
> > http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=11563
>
> And I still don't know why executable stacks are suddenly enabled
> automatically under Linux if libc is linked, and whether the proper
> solution for the compiler is to use that linker parameter, whether it
> should somehow annotate the object files, or something else.

Does this help?
fpc.i386: E: statically-linked-binary /usr/lib/fpc/2.2.2/ppc386
fpc.i386: E: missing-PT_GNU_STACK-section /usr/lib/fpc/2.2.2/ppc386

That's a message I get when checking the fpc-2.2.2 rpm's from Fedora. This
message is generated on all executable in the rpm.

I'll add the linker-option to the fpc.cfg in the Fedora(10) rpm's.

Joost.