[fpc-devel] Unicode support - for the 20th time... ;-)

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Nov 20 11:19:54 CET 2008

> If you want to help, we need to implement the Delphi 2009 encoding
> aware string type, both runtime support as well as the compiler support.
A previous discussion showed that this also breaks a lot of old code and
is not really nice.

So a better concept seems to have a dedicated type for any possible
Coding (ANSISTring <of course locale-depending>, UTF8String,
UTF16String, maybe UCS2String, too) and let the user choose (e.g. by a
"{$" compiler option) which one he want to be used for "String" and
"WideString". This would allow for simple compiler magic to perform any
necessary conversion (including assigning constants).

-Michael