[fpc-devel] Unicode and Lazarus

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 11:18:21 CET 2008

I started a separate thread for this lazarus part of the unicode talk.

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 7:37 AM, Florian Klaempfl
<florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
>>    And that's why I urge all core FPC
>>    developers to try and finalize a Unicode design.  Otherwise you leave
>>    it up to developers to keep adding such shitty hacks
> They add it only because they insist on using utf-8 :)

I keep hearing this, but yet no one ever proposes a better solution for Lazarus.

It was already stablished what reasons made us choose this path, the
most important of which being that it provides maximum compatibility
with existing code.

I would like to hear of others actually have a better proposal for Lazarus.

And also, considering that Lazarus and Free Pascal are very related (I
would bet most people using fpc use it througth Lazarus, and everyone
using Lazarus uses fpc), it would be interresting if we actually work
more or less in the same direction to provide a good unicode solution,
instead of each part ignoring what the other is doing. And also
remembering that Lazarus started working on Unicode before FPC and
also before Delphi.

So, what kind of support could be implemented in Free Pascal to
improve things for Lazarus and it´s users?

Maybe a real UTF8String?

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho