[fpc-devel] Unicode support - for the 20th time... ;-)

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 10:41:37 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:28 AM, Daniƫl Mantione
<daniel.mantione at freepascal.org> wrote:

> These instructions are highly unproductive. Work on being able to compile
> the RTL in either ansi/unicode depending on the platform has started.
> Full Unicode support is for FPC 2.4.

Well, that's the first I heard of it.  Last time I checked, there was
no clear decision as to what design/implementation to follow?  So
where is the finalized design spec / wiki page etc, so I can see where
I can help?

If you read Marco's PDF, there are a few ideas for Unicode
implementation, and a few weeks ago, it seems nothing has changed.
Everybody seems to have there own ideas.

> If you need it today, widestrings are
> your best option.

At the moment I use UTF-8 and standard String type - as implemented in
fpGUI.  So I'm okay for now with our current projects, but there are
still many outstanding issues and pitfalls (as my earlier example
shows).

> If you want to help, we need to implement the Delphi 2009 encoding aware
> string type, both runtime support as well as the compiler support.

Well considering that I don't have a copy of Delphi 2009 and don't
want to fall into the same trap as before - where FPC had copyrighted
code in the RTL, I would prefer to look at the design guidelines /
spec as set out by the core FPC team. Where can I get hold of such a
document or information?

Regards,
  - Graeme -