[fpc-devel] Unicode support (again)

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Nov 11 12:42:27 CET 2008

On 11 Nov 2008, at 12:33, Michael Schnell wrote:

>> It will at best be "friendly old school behaviour which works most
>> of the time, but which fails as soon as the strings are not
>> completely normalised because then you can have decomposed
>> characters and whatnot" (which in turn easily leads to security
>> holes due to incomplete checks, hard to reproduce bugs and "write
>> once, debug everywhere"-style behaviour).
> Sorry, I don't understand. What not normalized behavior needs to be
> taken into account ?

Because e.g. on the ext3 file system, you can have two files with the
name "ü" in the same directory. One named using the single character
"ü" and one named using as the string "u¨" (both in utf-8). If you
make the compiler automatically normalise everything, you lose
information (and get the security holes etc).

Jonas