[fpc-devel] Parallel Computing

Thaddy thaddy at thaddy.com
Tue Nov 4 14:13:25 CET 2008

Florian Klaempfl wrote:
> - it solves none of the real MT problems

No. I agree: if a programmer or architect doesn't understand MP the
syntax "sugar" might be misleading and prone to misinterpretation.
But that is already the case with TThread. You wouldn't believe the
times I had to correct code from customers or from my teams because all
"threaded" code was written inside a synchronize call.
And I found it very hard to explain they did write a timer like routine,
nothing to do with threading.

But it seems the opinion of the c++ comunity that - for properly
educated users - OpenMP adds value to the language. Enough to integrate
the concept.

This is indeed not a feature that makes MT programming easier. But I
think you will recognize the example I just described as just as
furiating/desparate.