[fpc-devel] Why is FPC so self-contained ?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Nov 4 10:19:44 CET 2008

In our previous episode, Michael Van Canneyt said:
> > Are there other than historical reasons that FPC is this "self-contained" ? (I
> > suppose compiling speed is an issue here, so a "GCC compatible parser" might
> > only be an additional tool provided by the FPC team, but I'd really love to
> > use this for my embedded projects.)
>
> We don't want to depend on the work of other people. Do do what you want
> would also mean that the RTL depends on libc, and this is totally out of
> the question.

I'm not too fond of linking in libc, but IMHO dealing with the whole
ecosystem of tools and binaries and emulation layers on major platforms as
windows to just make proper releases would be my biggest fear.

Not that I couldn't handle it, but to package it transparantly to users in
the hope that it will actually work. GPC never even got to that stage.