[fpc-devel] I get duplicate GUIDs under Linux

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 29 14:47:56 CEST 2008

2008/5/29 Mattias Gärtner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>:

> It would hurt a lot *not* installing the patch. The bigger problem is that the
> other distributions including windows, Mac OS X, BSD, ... server must now
> install the blacklist too. I guess non debian systems now have bigger problems
> than debian.

Yeah, I google'd the debian fiasco to get a better understanding.
It's a *huge* screw-up!

>> I gather that you can reproduce the issue and also get stuck on 1021?
>
> Yes. 1019
>
> And then pango gave:
> (testproject:27449): Pango-WARNING **: error opening config file
> '/etc/pango/pangorc': Too many open files
> Apparently CreateGUID is buggy and should not be used under Linux.

I need to convert existing data to our new system, so I am in need of
a lot of GUID's quickly. At least in the interim I have a workaround
via the 'libuuid' unit, otherwise I would be in big trouble.

How can I force my fpc to use the 'random' option, instead of
'.../random/uuid'?  Or must I copy and paste the code from RTL into my
own function?

Regards,
 - Graeme -