[fpc-devel] Re: FindFile / FindNext does work with > 253 character length files

Sergei Gorelkin sergei_gorelkin at mail.ru
Fri Mar 14 19:53:11 CET 2008

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

>>  Under Linux the maximum file length is 255 character. Gnome's Nautilus
>>  allows that length. Any larger and Nautilus or a terminal command like
>>  'cp' complains.
>>
>>  FindFile / FindNext however seems to have a 253 character limit!  Why
>>  the difference when the OS can support up to 255 characters?

I believe that this is caused by lack of careful testing. Some time ago
I've found a similar-looking limitation in Windows commandline handling
and posted a patch (Mantis #10175).
Btw, strange to hear about 255 character limit on Linux. Its headers
define MAX_PATH value as 4097.

Best regards,
Sergei