[fpc-devel] Russian locale information not compatible with FPC locale variables

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Tue Jul 29 15:03:24 CEST 2008

Op Tue, 29 Jul 2008, schreef Bee:

>> So FPC plans to always be worse off than Delphi. :-(  I really think
>> playing 'catchup' with somebody like Delphi is not a good thing. They
>> have different goals as far as I can see, plus their future doesn't
>> look bright (for a very long time now).  Delphi tries to compete with
>> Microsoft using Microsoft's own tool (.NET).  We all know how that
>> turns out when anybody tries to compete with Microsoft.  Because of
>> that, Delphi language features are very behind compared to the
>> developer demand.  So now FPC wants to be even more behind, because we
>> need to wait for Delphi to one day get there act together.  :-(
>
> Yup. If it's really the case then I'm sorry to say that FPC has such a "loser
> mentality". FPC has chances to become the leader of object pascal native
> compiler since Delphi was starting to die after Delphi 7. But, instead of
> taking the lead, FPC let itself and the users down in the name of
> "compatibility". What a shame! :-P

Could you show me the advantage of having an incompatible string
implementation in FPC 2.4, which will be out after highlander? What is the
point to "leading" here?

Just to be clear once and forever: We don't want a Netscape vs. Internet
Explorer HTML extensions like war. It is our aim to unite rather than to
divide the Pascal world more.

> Sorry to be a little bit out of topic here. I just couldn't hold myself to
> express my opinion on this.

Good. Now it's time show practical proposals or stop the discussion.

Daniël