[fpc-devel] Russian locale information not compatible with FPC locale variables

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 11:42:57 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Daniƫl Mantione
<daniel.mantione at freepascal.org> wrote:
>> developer demand.  So now FPC wants to be even more behind, because we
>> need to wait for Delphi to one day get there act together.  :-(
>
> FPC behind? What are you talking of man? :)

I knew that statement would get some attention.  :)

> Waiting until we know more about the Delphi implementation is in the
> interrest of everyone here. Borland, oops, Codegear, whoops, Embarcadero,

Ya, my point.  And nobody knows what Embarcadero is going to be like.

> might have strange plans, but Delphi users remain important for FPC. Not
> everyone has completely switches to FPC like you and even you benefit from
> being able to use more external code. Code exchange is extremely important.

Code exchange - the pipe dream (tm). :)  I have done quite a bit of
code porting. Trust me, FPC and Delphi is not as compatible as
everybody would hope.  The reason is not because FPC is inferior, it's
because FPC targets more platforms, so some things need to be
different.
I'm pretty sure there are NO reasonably sized projects that are code
compatible without a need of some changes.

Plus if FPC frees itself from that requirement, it has free reins to
implement things perfectly based on OUR requirements.  Look at Chrome
(or whatever they are called now). Some awesome language features have
been knocked out in a relatively short period, because they don't
bother with Delphi compatibility. Instead they concentrate on
improving the language.
Delphi on the other hand are more interested in building a Visual
Studio clone and .NET support.  When last did Borland, CodeGear,
Emb.... add language features that was not specifically due to .NET
requirements.... D6 or D7 maybe? That's like a lifetime ago.

> People who need their code compilable with Delphi cannot use generics
> indeed. So what, they can use both Delphi and FPC if they keep their code
> clean of compiler specific features.

And loose all the benefits Generics can give them!

> Good. MSEIDE is quiet a bit ahead because it made the switch to
> widechar/strings from the start.

Pity FPC could do such a bold move. ;-)  Imagine how much less work
Martin would have had to do.

Regards,
 - Graeme -