[fpc-devel] the libc unit on 64-bit systems

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Thu Jan 31 22:42:25 CET 2008

Op Thu, 31 Jan 2008, schreef Graeme Geldenhuys:

> On 31/01/2008, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Something like
>>
>> {$ifdef cpu386}
>> {$ifdef linux}
>> {$define linux386}
>> {$endif}
>> {$endif}
>

> Wow you guys reply quickly. :)  The above code doesn't look nice
> either, so I think I will rather implement a alternative.
>
> All I really use 'libc' for is to retrieve the user name and group
> name from the user and group id's of files.  As I said, it's not
> critical, I can always display the id's only.  Or maybe parse the
> /etc/groups and /etc/passwd files to get the names, but I heard that's
> not very accurate for some reason.
>

> Thanks again Marco and Daniël for the quick replies!

Rather than use the libc unit, you might want to declare getpwent in your
own code; a few naming service procedures are a whole lot easier to keep
portable than the entire libc unit.

This doesn't guarantee you anything (getpwent could well be a
macro on a random unix), but it wouldn't be that much work to make it
work on the known Unixes.

Daniël