[fpc-devel] On recasting BORLAND PASCAL FROM SQUARE ONE for Free Pascal

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Jan 7 11:15:05 CET 2008

> Michael Schnell schrieb:
> >
> >> Well, a (german) lazarus book is in the works, by C&L. Work has
> >> actually started.
> >>
> > Sounds good.
> >
> > Of course there is room for more than one book if the authors care to
> > target different aspects. (Delphi language, GUI/LCL, beginners, "in
> > depth" reference, multi-platform, networking, ... )
>
> I guess the cul books won't be that language/programming tutorial like
> so they don't interfere with Jeff's book.

Sure. I would keep much of the original content in place,mostly kill dos
specific topics though (but some, like port IO could be kept updated with
ioperm and io.dll)

The object dialect is a bit of a problem. Sources for the classic model are
running out, and it would nice to have something that describes it in a
tutorial way indepth. Maybe some Delphi text will come across our path
later.

The OS is also a bit of a problem. Linux is more heavier oriented towards
console use, but has the hassle of terminal dependance. (though Daniel
improved this greatly an year back).