[fpc-devel] more descriptive parameter names for C translated headers

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 15:46:23 CET 2008

Hi,

I use the xlib.pp unit a lot. As far as I understand it and many
others like it was created with a automated tool.  As I use the
functions, I thought I could start changing the para1, para2... to
more descriptive parameter names.  This makes it much easier to code
if you use something like Lazarus that gives function declaration
hints etc..

It will not affect/break anybody's code if I start making those
changes, but I would like to get the correct naming convention
going...  I'm only doing this once!  :)

Here's the original declaration:

function XSetSelectionOwner(para1:PDisplay; para2:TAtom;
para3:TWindow; para4:TTime):cint;cdecl;external libX11;

what should the new parameters look like....

Delphi / standard Object Pascal style:

1)
function XSetSelectionOwner(ADisplay:PDisplay; ASelection:TAtom;
AOwner:TWindow; ATime:TTime):cint;cdecl;external libX11;

or maybe

2)
function XSetSelectionOwner(display:PDisplay; selection:TAtom;
owner:TWindow; time:TTime):cint;cdecl;external libX11;

My preference is 1).  What's your thoughts?

Regards,
  - Graeme -