[fpc-devel] Unicode and UTF8String

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Dec 2 11:44:02 CET 2008

> It simply needs no explicit support except what it has already. Mainly
> the rtl and the user program has to take care of it and we did this
> already in the rtl but the compiler required no fix in this regard so far.

I do see your point !

But my point is that with the introduction of Unicode, compiler support
for handling of these things is introduced (and the RTL and the LCL). I
think this should result in making user-code largely unnecessary and not
in requiring those programmer, that did not need multi-byte support for
serving the users they want to deploy their software to, to finally
start to introduce multi-byte handling in their user-program code.

IMHO, if ever possible, a new version of a program should make life for
the majority of the actual users easier and avoid making life more
complicated for those that not willingly decide that they need the
complexity.

-Michael