[fpc-devel] fpdoc and unicode characters

"Vinzent Höfler" JeLlyFish.software at gmx.net
Thu Aug 14 13:51:48 CEST 2008

> Datum: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:44:14 +0200
> Von: "Graeme Geldenhuys" <graemeg.lists at gmail.com>
>
> But what is fpdoc's xml files?  Pure XML, XHTML or some custom/hybrid
> format? The layout of fpdoc's files seem XML, but the documentation
> content seems some hybrid HTML - hence the confusion with what is
> allowed!

Well, what's the DTD saying about it? ;)

> Anybody know the rules of strict XML files and Unicode?  Can I use
> Unicode characters as data in XML nodes?

As long as the encoding doesn't say otherwise, yes.

>I would imagine I may because
> most well-formed XML files specify UTF-8 as the encoding type.

Yes, you can.

> Also something I think has been resolved in recent versions, but in
> older 'makeskel' versions, it did not include the encoding in the
> generated .xml file.  So what are we supposed to treat such files
> encoding as? Default to W3C standards and use assume UTF-8?

Errmm, yes?

> LCL and
> fpGUI's fpdoc documentation (mostly) has no encoding specified in the
> .xml files.  FPC's documentation specifies ISO8859-1 as the encoding
> type, though I found one file (dateutils.xml) it FPC docs that hasn't
> got an encoding (but my doc update is out of date).

Well, as long as the contents is English, it doesn't matter to much, UTF-8 is fully compatible to 7-bit ASCII. ;)

If you're unsure about the encoding, stick to the &#x0000; unicode entities, that way you can encode anything in 7-bit plain, portable ASCII.

Vinzent.
Jetzt dabei sein: http://www.shortview.de/wasistshortview.php?mc=sv_ext_mf@gmx