[fpc-devel] Proposal to make the compiler message "PPU Invalid Version" a fatal error.

Bernd Mueller mueller.b at gmx.net
Wed Aug 13 17:53:45 CEST 2008

Bernd Mueller wrote:
> Florian Klaempfl wrote:
>> Bernd Mueller schrieb:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The compiler message "PPU Invalid Version n" should be made a fatal
>>> error. This would help Lazarus to display the real problem (wrong ppu
>>> version), instead of displaying the error Massage "Fatal: Can't find
>>> unit x", which is misleading in this case.
>>
>> This has a "small" draw back. If this message is fatal the compiler
>> won't search anymore for the sources of the unit to recompile it.
>
> sorry, I did not notice this, because I don't have the source of the unit.

As a workaround, I put the string "Fatal:" in front of the corresponding
compiler message 10008_U_PPU... So Lazarus displays the correct error
message ("PPU Invalid Version...") if the source of the unit is not
present. If the source is present, fpc does compile it.

I think, the proper way could be, that fpc makes this message fatal, if
the unit source is not present.

Regards, Bernd.