[fpc-devel] CompactSysutils part of RTL

L L at z505.com
Mon Oct 15 09:04:48 CEST 2007

Hi!

As some know.. CompactSysutils contains many functions for embedded or CGI
programmers to use when they don't wish to use full sysutils unit. i.e. anyone
looking for smaller footprint executable.

I've partly described it here:
http://z505.com/cgi-bin/qkcont/qkcont.cgi?p=CompactUtils-and-CompactSysutils
http://z505.com/cgi-bin/powtils/docs/1.6/idx.cgi?file=compactsysutilsnotes

(Those are long URL's.. sorry, hope they work in mail client)

I'm sure we can work together to get this unit shipped with FPC..
RTL or FCL? or wherever FPC team thinks it would be nice.

Embedded programmers and friends contact me and send me patches.. which is
awesome. However it would be better if it was part of FPC. We'd have more 'army
of programmers' for it. You know the story.

Let me know what we/I need get done to prepare it for inclusion? Also, I'm
thinking the unit name CompactSysutils is a bit long.. maybe some way to shorten
it to something else. SysTil or something.

If you have seen any other units of mine that we can work together to include in
the FCL/RTL, then let me know too. Example:

CompactUtils (cross platform nonvisual KOL port)
substrings (part of powtils)
http.pas (part of powtils)
hostname (part of powtils)
smtp.pas (part of powtils),
synwrap1,
sendmail_unix,
fasthtmlparser,
htmutil,
htmutils,
fileutil,
htmw,
csv units (a few in contrib section)
regexp2 (older TRegexp port),
strwrap1.pas,
StrFilter.pas,
capstring.pas,
capwstring.pas,
caparray,
lufind,
lufdoc,
powtils/psp units
and a million  others. (some need to be cleaned up)

Maybe we should start another mail thread if talking about another unit in above
list. This mail thread should be to discuss CompactSysutils. I'm sorry I even
mention all above units, we might get overwhelmed and get into a big attention
deficit disorder problem So focus on compactsysutils in this thread, but keep in
the back of your mind that I really want to contribute lots of others once we
get one off my chest first ;-)

--
L505
http://z505.com