[fpc-devel] 64 Bit / 32 Bit

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Oct 4 12:45:53 CEST 2007

On 04 Oct 2007, at 12:36, Daniƫl Mantione wrote:

> Still, we're planning to support the extended on all platforms by
> means of
> softfloat.

I don't think it would be a good idea to map the extended type to 80
bit soft float on platforms that don't support 80 bit fpu
calculations in hardware. Many programs use "extended" by default
without actually requiring 80 bit precision, and mapping those all to
soft float would needlessly slow down such programs.

I think a separate type would be more appropriate.

Jonas