[fpc-devel] what fpc is good for?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sat May 12 10:10:40 CEST 2007

> Op Sat, 12 May 2007, schreef Marco van de Voort:
> > P.s. I also don't get the "64-bit" gaming speed remark. What does a game do
> > with 64-bit? Load 4 GB of textures on startup?
>
> Games will be among the first end user applications that really need >
> 4GB. Commercial games currently released sometimes need 2 GB, it is a
> matter of time until it increases beyond 3GB, which is the limit for
> 32-bit systems.
>
> However, here the point is more moot than anywhere else, who cares about a
> few mb of exe for a game that requires gigabytes of memory and is often
> shipped on a 9GB dvd?! :)
>
> And needless, to say, FPC is very well prepared for 64-bit.

One of the things I sometimes wonder about too is how far optimizations are,
most notably on non-x86 (and that includes _64).  Maybe make a wiki page out
of it (implemented and to-implement?)

Also instruction scheduling remains important, because in this weeks
(german) C'T I saw Intel is also preparing embedded in-order x86 CPU's. (and
at work I use C7's).