[fpc-devel] Linux kernel behaviour change regarding keyboard

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Jul 18 17:41:27 CEST 2007

> On Tuesday 17 July 2007 11:20:54 pm Marco van de Voort wrote:
> > > Apparently someone suddenly got a good idea that you need to be root to
> > > reprogram the keyboard, and got a patch merged into the Linux kernel:
> > >
> > > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit
> > >diff;h=0b360adbdb54d5b98b78d57ba0916bc4b8871968
> > >

> minor breakage is mentioned, you should have tried an mm kernel
> and complained :-)

Like everything these woolheads think of, it is very nice for trained
admins, and people used to read kernel lists, how-to's (and spend overly
amounts of time on it).

However the problem is that this kind of paranoia (since I assume currently
it is only allowed for people using a valid tty handle) creates enormous
deployment problems.