[fpc-devel] Linux kernel behaviour change regarding keyboard

Sergei Gorelkin sergei_gorelkin at mail.ru
Wed Jul 18 14:57:48 CEST 2007

Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 18 Jul 2007, at 14:08, Jonas Maebe wrote:
>
>>> Install the IDE setuid.
>>
>> That would be an extremely bad idea with the current stability record
>> of the IDE.
>
> Not to mention that it allows you to open and overwrite any arbitrary file.

Looking at that kernel patch, I see that it requires not uid=0, but
rather certain caller's capability present.
I don't have deep knowledge of the subject, but 'capability' sounds like
'privilege' (in Windows terms) for me. If it is so, then probably there
is a way to solve the problem by assigning the required capability to
IDE user(s) or process.

Sergei