[fpc-devel] FPC on Intel and AMD dual core processors

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Wed Jul 4 22:45:45 CEST 2007

Op Wed, 4 Jul 2007, schreef Graeme Geldenhuys:

> Hi,
>
> Does FPC take any advantage of dual core or quad core processors? Intel or
> AMD?
> Also I'm developing mostly under Linux, but all our products get
> released for Windows and Linux.  Would it make a difference which OS I
> use?

FPC itself is single threaded. Your own applications can be multithreaded.
Despite the benchmarks shown today, I believe FPC is so fast that
transforming it into a multithreaded application isn't worth the effort at
the moment.

> This makes me think [not related to FPC really] - Does Linux support
> the AMD dual core processors?

Yes, of course. Linux on Opteron is what AMD big in the server market.

Daniël