[fpc-devel] Linking to C++

Jason P Sage jasonpsage at jegas.org
Tue Jan 23 02:36:36 CET 2007

Hello All,

This may have been mentioned with different words already - but I'm getting
the impression one should write a "C++ handler API" or "thin layer" for the
C++ lib one wants to utilize. The idea being FPC would only link on standard
calls that more or less ran the underlying C++ lib like a remote control car
(if that makes sense). On the FPC side you would tell the "thin layer" what
objects to make, and allow for passing information to and from individual
instances of classes within the "thin client", and invoking methods the same
way.

This doesn't seem ideal by any stretch of the imagination - and makes me
think of ugly things in time's past like 32bit to 16bit "thunking", but this
kind of "thin layer" coding (an API ultimately) seems like it MAY be the
best way to link to the various libraries out there. I'm thinking of gcc and
Microsoft API's generally.

Personally - regardless of the difficulties - I've had some pretty decent
luck with FPC and using the headers that people have created for various
libraries that are crucial - like mysql and odbc. If I had more time to mess
around I'd be playing with Direct X and Open GL too. Regardless - I'm happy
with it so far!

I welcome any and all comments.

Good Day
Jason P Sage