[fpc-devel] FPC dynamic libraries

George Birbilis birbilis at kagi.com
Fri Feb 9 10:12:12 CET 2007

> You can't, for Lazarus. You need the classes, that's what you
> need the plugins for in the first place: to install
> additional components on the component palette. They must
> descend from the TComponent which is in the IDE.
>
> There is no way around it.

If you had an immutable Icomponent interface it could be. The IDE would talk
to the components only using immutable (not-changeable once published)
interfaces (Icomponent, IComponent2, IComponent3 etc.)

> > > Borland's packages are also incompatible between released
> versions.
> >
> > Sure, but above you said Borland keeps them compatible.
>
> With this I mean that they release not so often that it
> becomes a problem.
> if they would release every 3 weeks, it's a problem, this is obvious.
>
> Lazarus will have to do the same if they want to have
> dynamically loadable packages.

don't take Borland as an example in this case, it's a very bad practice what
they did...

George Birbilis (birbilis at kagi.com)
Computer & Informatics Engineer
Microsoft MVP J# for 2004-2007