[fpc-devel] Light weight threads for FPC

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Dec 17 12:04:55 CET 2007

David Butler wrote:
> A big difference between threads and fibers in Windows is that threads
> are preemtively scheduled, while fibers are co-operatively scheduled.
That sounds very logical.

I gather cooperative scheduling is not possible when distributing the
work on multiple processors. So using fibers are no option for the kind
of "light weight threads" requested by the OP.

> Unfortunately, Windows' fiber implementation has severe limitations.
No wonder :)

> To get around this I created a library that does real light-weight
> "fibers".
I suppose as they run in a single system thread they are no option for
the kind of "light weight threads" requested by the OP.

-Michael