[fpc-devel] (patch) An attempt to improve assignments/function result reuse

Sergei Gorelkin sergei_gorelkin at mail.ru
Tue Dec 4 11:30:18 CET 2007

Hello,

Currently, when assigning types that need helper routines (records,
Windows widestrings and variants), the compiler converts assignment into
a helper call immediately. If this is moved from typecheckpass to pass1,
certain assignments get the chance to be optimized away. See the patch
attached.

I had run the testsuite with the patch, the results were the same as
with unpatched compiler.

This works, but the desired goal is achieved only partially.
For example, in packages/base/netdb/uriparser.pp there are 4 cases that
may (and need to) be optimized:
1) In function ParseURI(const URI: String):  TURI; - assignment to the
function result;
2,3) In ResolveRelativeURI() - the first two statements:
   Base := ParseUri(BaseUri);
   Rel := ParseUri(RelUri);

4) In URIToFilename() - also the first statement:
   U := ParseURI(Uri);

Only the case 4 is optimized by the patch. In cases 2 and 3, I guess
that compiler assumes that address of Base and Rel is taken (although
actually it is taken much later). In case 1, I don't know. Maybe someone
can give me a hint how these cases can be handled?

Regards,
Sergei