[fpc-devel] Delphi's generics syntax

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Tue Aug 21 23:27:12 CEST 2007

Op Tue, 21 Aug 2007, schreef Michael Van Canneyt:

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Inoussa OUEDRAOGO wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I just saw this blog about upcoming Delphi's generic syntax at this
> > address http://www.bobswart.nl/Weblog/Blog.aspx?RootId=5:1498
>
> They of course had to do it different from FPC, once more.
> I suppose their operator overloading will also be different again.
>
> They're not being very cooperative once again.
>
> All Delphi owners on the list should NOW complain, saying that
> they want it compatible to FPC's implementation :-)

One argument is that Andreas Hausladen's generics implementation for
Delphi *is* mostly FPC compatible. So they hurt their own customers who
currently writing generics code using Andreas his solution.

I spent some efforts a while back on the non-tech newsgroup regarding
compatibility for 64-bit issues; everyone needing Win64 is currently using
FPC, and many component writers are porting. When Borland will release
their win64 compiler in 2010 all 64-bit code will be using FPC facilities
like ptruint, hopefully for Borland with Delphi-compatibility ifdefs still
there. It is in their own interrest that they can compile the code then
that is being written now.

Daniël