[fpc-devel] Issue with Critical sections

Vinzent Hoefler JeLlyFish.software at gmx.net
Thu Apr 5 11:39:34 CEST 2007

On Thursday 05 April 2007 09:16, Sergei Gorelkin wrote:

> It appears that my way of thinking has been severely affected by
> using IDEs. When putting mouse over identifier shows where it comes
> from, prefixing seems redundant :)

Prefixing *is* redundant, that's the whole point of it, but it also
takes you to the safe side. I never liked Pascal's solution of calling
subroutines with the same name depending on the order of the use
clauses, when those use clauses are so far away from the actual code.
Change the clause, you (may) change the code.
Not mentioning this awful "reuse" clause here, that's the worst. But I'm
getting carried away... stop.

Well, so doing the mouseover to look at where it's from already has a
bad taste of suspecting some surprise.

And well, an IDE can't help you on the printout. Clicking on the
headlines in a newspaper doesn't take you to the article, neither. ;)

> VH> I won't judge if FPC is correct here (it's supposed to be
> Delphi-, not VH> Kylix-compatible), but if Borland decided to move
> those routines, they VH> didn't do it right neither. ;)
>
> They did not move routines - they just had to implement Linux
> versions somehow. And they did it in a way that was not breaking
> existing code.

So they should have implemented the "Windows" unit, simple as that. Or
add a "Linux" unit as replacement.

> In this particular case I wanted to avoid FCL dependence via using
> SyncObjs.

Fair enough. It's a reason after all.

Vinzent.