[fpc-devel] internal profiler 2

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Sep 7 13:28:01 CEST 2006

On 7 sep 2006, at 13:15, Aleš Katona wrote:

> Generaly tho, we don't have an all-platform profiler.

The problem with implementing this in the compiler is that it only
works for code you compiled with such support in it. It won't work
for the RTL we ship (unless we start shipping two version of the RTL,
like there are also special profile-enabled versions of libc), nor
for external libraries. It would be useful, but limited.

That's why most profilers don't rely on the compiler to do the work
but either instrument (e.g. callgrind/valgrind) or sample (e.g. Shark
on Mac OS X, or qprof which should work on pretty much any *nix out
there).

Jonas