[fpc-devel] intel Mac

Giulio Bernardi ugilio at hotmail.com
Mon May 29 23:34:22 CEST 2006

> On 29 May 2006, at 19:39, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>
>> Are there any known problems running FPC apps with "Rosetta"?
>
> No, they work perfectly. Only the ppc compiler itself needed some  changes
> (to tell the assembler and linker to assemble/link ppc  instead of x86
> code).
>
>> What's the state of the Intel Mac native port?
>
> Also works perfectly :) Testsuite results are similar to Linux/i386.

Some time ago I tried a mac intel from a friend of mine... I slightly
modified fpc 2.0.2 to make it accept a parameter -K
which is similar of -k (that is, -k is "pass an option to the linker" ,
while -K is "pass an option to the assembler") and I
added -K -arch ppc to fpc.cfg. Everything worked perfectly.
I was thinking: -arch parameter is accepted even by pre-os x 10.4 as, so
ppcppc could always call as with -arch ppc,
while ppc386 could always call as with -arch i386.
Then it would be useful if fpc (not ppc*) could accept a -arch parameter, so
that one can install both ppcppc and ppc386
and then decide for which target to compile.
This way it could also be easy to create a universal binary (IIRC ld or
another command has an option to concatenate
a i386 executable and a ppc one to produce a universal binary...)