[fpc-devel] Re: -k linker path limit?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun May 14 17:56:47 CEST 2006

> Because the path is not found, which is 100% right. It's just a made up
> "dummy" directory to see if errors are working properly.
>
> It seems to be in the 48-100 character path length range which causes
> issues, but I can't get a definite number like 48 or 47, since I've
> noticed fluctuations, or maybe my eyes are sore from counting characters
> on the screen today too much.

Try to add a LD param that increases LD's verbosity. Then see if the problem
is LD's parsing. It could be that there are still shortstrings here and
there in the compiler, but <255 chars limits are not likely.

> BTW - if anyone is interested in cross compiling I recommend making a copy
> of fpc.exe and renaming it to fpc-lin.exe, moving it to a new directory
> and just switching your compiler path to c:\fpc-cross\bin\fpc-lin.exe when
> you want to cross compile. This saves you having to re-copy the as, ld, ar
> files each time you want to revert back to normal compiling. Because
> AFAIK, using a cross compiler AS/AR/LD utility requires you copy the old
> files back, each time you want to switch from normal compiles to
> cross-compiles. Keep two directories for fpc: 1. A regular fpc compiler
> directory containing fpc.exe 2. A cross compiler directory containing
> fpc-lin.exe.

Read the buildfaq. There are easier ways. E.g. you can set a prefix for the
binutils using -XP, even automatically, in your fpc.cfg

E.g.
#ifdef FPC_CROSSCOMPILING
-XP$FPCTARGET
#endif