[fpc-devel] Apache modules?

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 14:17:47 CEST 2006

On 7/18/06, Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a good resource on the web explaining the differences?  Any
> help would be great.

There is a table that compares various web technologies here:

http://162.105.203.19/apache-doc/8.htm#BIN21

Apache modules fit into the "Server API" category.

Acctually you may want to read the full chapter. It´s the first chapter here:

http://162.105.203.19/apache-doc/1.htm

>   * Can things be kept in memory between user input? example: When
> retrieving data from a database, can the connection be kept open?

Yes, sure. The module never unloads. You can even open the connect on
the initialization of the library, and close on the finalization. Just
make sure to handle errors, and possible server crashes.

>   * can I load user data (example: login data) and keep in available
> while the user is working inside the web app?

Yes, sure.

You do can use modules to develop web page, but you can also do a lot
more with them. One module I am planning to convert can detect
spelling errors of a user trying to access a webpage, and then do it´s
best to correct them. With modules you have access to all internals of
the web server.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho