[fpc-devel] Web language

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Fri Jan 27 09:25:04 CET 2006

Op Thu, 26 Jan 2006, schreef VisionForce:

> I'm going to create my own server-side web language, and I was thinking
> about using .NET. Does anyone here have any good reasons I should use
> Delphi instead? Is there a place I can go to learn Delphi's string
> parsing functions? Does Delphi support Serialization. What about
> Polymorphism?

2/3 of the web servers runs Linux. Only about 20% runs Windows. By
limiting yourself to the Windows platform you will throw away the majority
of your potential users. Do not think Mono can save you; care should be
taken your program will actually run on it, but more important, network
administrators will not install the Mono framework on their webservers.

... which is an obstacle for Windows as well; you will require your users
to install a very large framework which they do not like to download.
Even if they have it installed it will use a lot of memory, tens of
megabytes. Users will not like that.

.NET is a 32 bit virtual machine. You will miss the 64 bit revolution. It
is quite likely that within 2-3 years, 50% of the systems will run a 64
bit operating system.

.NET is also slow, but performance is usually not really important for web
languages. However, if you want websites written in your language to
survive Slashdotting, you might keep performance in mind.

So, you should use a language that runs both on Windows and Linux, and
Free Pascal is a good choice. Delphi can help as well, but you should
write your code so that it can be compiled by both compilers. About
langauge features: serialization of what? polymorphism of what? OOP? Of
course you can do that.

Lastly, the most important reason: If you use .NET, your code is obsolete
when Microsoft decides it is, history learns this is every 5-10 year.
Pascal code is much more durable.

Daniël