[fpc-devel] The "implements" keyword

Christian Iversen chrivers at iversen-net.dk
Sun Aug 6 02:39:22 CEST 2006

Finally I got some spare time for coding.

So, after quite a bit of help from Florian (Thank you!), the
implements-keyword is.... well, IMPLEMENTED! Finally!

It's not yet in trunk, but it will be soon.

As far as I can tell, it's completely hack-free, but I will submit the
revisions as patches for code review.

The code is still not complete, and there are some needed changes that will
happen when I can find the time (for instance, what's the procedure to add
new compiler messages? should I just add them to errore.msg?)

The current version of the patch adds 2*sizeof(pointer) to each
TInterfaceEntry. That might seem like a lot, but with bitpacking this can be
brought down to just 1*sizeof(pointer).

Now, to make the bitpacking I need to be able to assume VMT's are always
aligned to at least 4-byte boundaries. I think this is a safe assumption, but
maybe it's not?

(if this is not possible, it's not a huge problem, just a slight waste of
space)

I'd be happy to answer any questions, or hear any comments regarding this new
feature.

Christian Iversen