[fpc-devel] Patch to speed up Uppercase/Lowercase functions

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Jun 13 09:23:18 CEST 2005

> On 13 jun 2005, at 09:13, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>
> > I was thinking about this before I relpied, and knew this was the
> > case for
> > P5-P6 core. However is this verified/documented for generation 7
> > CPU's ?
> > (Athlon/Netburst ?)
>
> Why would they suddenly start spending silicon on making instructions
> faster which no modern compiler generates anymore?

Because the decoder units are now more advanced, and (given the total
transistor count) it is not that expensive, relatively.

However I partially agree that I think it is not likely. However I went over
this a lot of times, and nobody ever came up with a test or reference to
back it up. That's unscientific.

Maybe I should ask on nasm's forum or some other handcoders place.