[fpc-devel] Re: [fpc-l] type discussion

Marc Weustink marc.weustink at cuperus.nl
Thu Jun 2 14:09:09 CEST 2005

From: Gerhard Scholz
Sent: woensdag 1 juni 2005 18:35

[big snip]

>> >  multiple assignments:
>> >
>> >      a := b := c := d := 0 ;
>> >
>> > etc.
>>
>> Same point. Totally useless.
>
>easier to read, especially in sequencies of variable initializations

What is easier to read is a matter of taste.
Being a pascal devel for years now, it takes time to "decode" a  "a := b
:= c := d := 0"  line. There might be a ; inbeween which results in a
complete different assignment. With such lines I've to read them over and
over to see what is going on.
Where a line like "a := 0; b := 0; c := 0; d := 0;" is clear to me.
This also counts for the proposed c-isms.

For me I prefere clarity above less typing (besides if you want to write
realy short code, you sould use APL)

Marc