[fpc-devel] Re: [fpc-pascal] Calling unassigned procedure gives no stack trace with -gl

Tom Verhoeff T.Verhoeff at tue.nl
Thu Jul 14 22:57:35 CEST 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 04:05:04PM +0200, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> > > The problem is that the framepointer register EBP is 0 in the sigcontext.
> > > We can't solve this.
> >
> > So, where should a solution come from?  Where in the software/hardware
> > chain would a change be needed to make it work properly?
>
> For *nix: prt/crt0, there is a xorl %ebp,%ebp  But there might be code
> that relies on this (main program's parent's frame being nil)

(Continuing the thread from the fpc-pascal list on fpc-devel.)

But why then is a stack trace generated for the unhandled assert exception
and not for the unhandled access violation (under Linux 386)?

Under Mac OS X (Darwin), I do get stack traces in both cases.  However,
in spite of compiling with -gl, I don't get line numbers in either case.
What is the cause for that?

	Tom
--
E-MAIL: T.Verhoeff @ TUE.NL     | Fac. of Math. & Computing Science
PHONE:  +31 40 247 41 25        | Eindhoven University of Technology