[fpc-devel] Improving Ref Counting

Olle Raab olle.r at automagika.se
Sun Feb 27 22:48:17 CET 2005

05-02-27 19.16, skrev Uberto Barbini följande:

>> Thats a possibility, but then you do not win anything by running it in a
>> thread. It could as well be run when a memory allocation is done, and then
>> as a subroutine.
>
> No, because the background thread get more time slices during idle moments and
> none at all during intense computations.
> GC have to release the control as fast as possible and be able to resume the
> job where it left it.

What I ment was that simple GC's is all-or-nothing, so if it is interupted,
all work it has done so far is spoiled. But OK, it is better to attempt to
do a collect during idle time.

>> True parallell GC's exists, but they are then not simple.
>
> Do you mean in SMP systems?

No I mean those which work incrementally. Afaik these also need to lock
everytning when they do their increment, but that the increment is small in
time. So OK it is not true parallell.

Olle