[fpc-devel] Build on Fedora-Extras buildsystem failes for ppc

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Dec 21 13:56:17 CET 2005

> On 21 dec 2005, at 13:40, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>
> >> Seems like GNU ar is different from other ar's in that if you specify
> >> the -M option, it can indeed get its arguments from stdin (I don't
> >> know any other ar which works that way). So that would indeed be a
> >> possible solution for Linux.
> >
> > All except Solaris and Mac OS X I think, or are there other
> > platforms that
> > don't use GNU binutils?

(I meant of course from the systems we support. Note that some targets
(like OS/2 EMX) might base on very old GNU builds, with the same effective
problem, non existance of certain params)

> The ar man page on HP-UX is from GNU ar, but it doesn't support -M.
> The reason might be that the man page is from 1991 (and that's for HP-
> UX B.11.22 for Itanic, i.e. the latest). The ar itself doesn't seem
> to be GNU ar, since it doesn't recognize -v, -V nor --version. I
> guess I should have said that most non-free OS'es probably don't
> support it, since I'm not a *BSD user and thus don't know what they
> support and what they don't.

Solaris is btw also in dubio. IIRC the default tools are not GNU, but the
GNU ones are available in a pkg, and fairly common.