[fpc-devel]Open sibyl, a new RAD for FPC?

xhajt03 at vol.cz xhajt03 at vol.cz
Mon Oct 21 16:23:52 CEST 2002

From:     "Michael Van Canneyt" <michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be>
To:       fpc-devel at deadlock.et.tudelft.nl
Subject:  Re: [fpc-devel]Open sibyl, a new RAD for FPC?
Date:     Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:07:08 +0200

> > I have found that netlabs.org have a new project: a
> > pascal RAD for OS/2 based on Free Pascal and Sibyl
> > components. The home page for the project is
> > http://sibyl.netlabs.org
> >
> > They have chosen Free Pascal because it is open
> > source, and according to the authors, 'some things
> > have to be changed/extended'.
> >
> > Have the authors of this project contacted with the
> > FPC team? I think that it would be good for FPC to
> > be able to include some of the modifications from
> > Open Sibyl. Also, perhaps you could include a link to
> > Open Sibyl in the Links page.
>
> As far as I know, Tomas Hajny (hope I spell this
> correct ;)) cooperates with Yuri Prokushev. Tomas
> maintains the OS/2 port.

 Correct (both spelling of my name and the fact ;-) ).

> The main point of cooperation is to extend/modify the
> OS/2 RTL so it makes full use of OS/2 features, I
> think. Maybe they will also remove the need for EMX,
> and go to a native os/2 application model.

 Yuri contributed some fixes for the current RTL, continues with the
the job you've been working on yourself, Ramon (PM APIs conversion),
submitted some additions making the RTL more compatible with that
one of Sibyl (without breaking compatibility with previous FPC
releases, of course), etc. He tries to make our text-mode IDE
working under OS/2 as well.  BTW, there are still some other APIs
those would need conversion, so you (or anybody else) can join any
time again, of course.  Other from this - yes, we might probably add
link to OpenSibyl to our WWW pages. I'll do so.

Tomas