[fpc-devel]Buggy IDE

Pierre Muller pierre at freepascal.org
Mon Jul 8 11:54:34 CEST 2002

At 12:39 08/07/2002 , Peter Beisel a écrit:
>Target: G032V2
>Compiler: FPC 1.0.6
>IDE: Free Pascal IDE version 0.9.2
>Environment: DOS-Box of WinME
>
>Buggy IDE:
>
>After editing and saving the source of my program, I started grep from
>the IDE.
>In the grep-window appeared the first line. Then the IDE crashes with
>
>"Program generated a signal 290. Save your sources and restart the IDE."
>
>(No chance to save anything at this time..)
>
>FPC double exception, exiting due to signal 0006
>FPC invalid opcode at eip=00001FF1
>eax=00000000 ebx=005AB910 ecx=00000000 edx=0036375C esi=00000000
>edi=0037CEA0
>ebp=00000000 esp=00rA707F program=C:\FP106\bin\go32v2\FP.EXE
>
>Since this first crash grep is still unavailable; every call of grep
>crashes the IDE.
The use of a go32v2 compiled program (like the go32v2 IDE)
with any window bosx (apart for win9X, which seems to work more or less..)
is strongly discouraged...
because there are several windows problems related to
changings of how Windows emulates the Dos and DPMI support
from one version to another, leading to very subtle bugs and crashes
that we (developpers) don't have time to understand and circumvent.

  If you are interested in such topics, you can refer to the djgpp workers
mailing list which is full of such stuff....

   Try to use the win32 version of the IDE, unless you really
need to use the go32v2 version.
  The only good reason to use the go32v2 executable is when you want to debug
that executable, but then it is stated even more loudly that
windows does not support Dos and DPMI consistently across
versions and that this can lead to spurious crashes, even more frequently when debugging.

To other developpers,  I think that :
1) the FAQ qhould be visible in the left list on main page of
web site.
2) that the above should be added to the 1.8 section.