[fpc-devel]Programs.

Jonas Maebe jonas at zeus.rug.ac.be
Thu Apr 18 18:41:07 CEST 2002

On donderdag, april 18, 2002, at 06:00 , varvered wrote:

> WARNING: This e-mail has been altered by MIMEDefang.  Following this
> paragraph are indications of the actual changes made.  For more
> information about your site's MIMEDefang policy, contact
> defang-admin at ns1.tee.gr.  For more information about MIMEDefang, see:

To everyone on this list: please do *NOT* run virus scanners which send
out a message when they detect a virus in a mail. Almost all viruses
nowadays pick a random from-address from your address book, which means
that the warning messages will end up in the wrong place. If your
software also attaches the virus itself (in a supposedly harmless way
according to MIMEDefang), the ball gets completely rolling: I received
no less than 9 messages apart from this one on the list administrator
account from virus scanners run by other people who are subscribed to
this list that still saw the attachment as a threat.

Apart from this incident, I've already received several other warnings
about viruses I supposedly sent out (which cannot be the case: I only
work under Mac OS X, Linux and Solaris) and it's getting really
annoying. So please: keep on scanning, delete infected mails, but don't
send out replies unless you want to take the time to look at the headers
of the email and figure out where the mail really came from.

Thanks,

Jonas