[fpc-devel]free software (was:BUGS!)

Andreas K. Foerster Andreas at AKFoerster.de
Tue Nov 20 10:50:00 CET 2001

Sorry for being Offtopic, but this must be said!

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 01:21:51PM -0500, Alan Grimes wrote:

> First off, This thing is good enough to be commercial software!

I would rather say, it's too good to be commercial software!

You seem to have different experiences, but I find, that lots of free
software is really good and some (few) are even better than their
commercial counterparts. They are just not so "userfriendly" and so
colorfull. ;-)

(Okay, you seem to be more the DOS type and I must confess, that
FreeDOS isn't yet really usable, but it's still declared as Beta.)

> It is decades ahead of any GNU.org project in existance.

GNU are not the only ones, who make free software!

> (Simply making
> it run well under DOS gives it a 10 year lead over a Linux package).

Lots of Linux/Unix programs also exist for DOS. Most people just don't
know about it. But there are packages of GhostScript, LaTeX, Emacs and
so on for DOS.

--
Tschuess
	Andreas