[fpc-devel]Memory exhausted

Jonas jonas at zeus.rug.ac.be
Tue Apr 3 09:18:33 CEST 2001

On Monday, April 2, 2001, at 09:23 PM, Aleksey V. Vaneev wrote:

>   What's wrong with it? Why it don't wants to use virtual memory?
>
> 3900 1263/10496 Kb Free
> 100 3113/10496 Kb Free
> Compiling d:\pp\libs\consolegeneral.pp
> Compiling d:\pp\libs\baseexceptcatch.pp
> Linking cmlcd.exe
> D:\PP\LIBS\GFXCAN~1.O: could not read symbols: Memory exhausted

Note that the linker is a separate process from the compiler. You may want to use he -Cn option, this will omit the linking stage and generate a ppas.bat file which you can call manually afterwards.

To enable virtual memory usage, you first have to configure cwsdpmi to do so (specify the max virtual memory size and where to create the swap file). I don't think the configuration app comes with FPC, but you can get it by downloading the official cwsdpmi package from a DJGPP mirror (see here for a list: <http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/getting.html>) from the directory 2misc (you'll want the file csdpmi5b.zip).

>   And after that, when I try compiling for the second time, it reports
>   following:
[cut]
> Panic : Internal compiler error, exiting.
> rscfilebank.pp(51,25) Fatal: Internal error 9999
> rscfilebank.pp(1,9) Error: Forward class definition not resolved "TFileBank"

That's a bug in the compiler. We've already fixed a lot of such bugs (crashes when reompiling a program without first deleting the results of the previous compilation), but new ones always seem to pop up.I this regard, 1.0.4/1.0.5 is much more stable.

Jonas