[fpc-pascal] OpenSSL

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Tue Nov 17 16:02:29 CET 2015

On Tue, November 17, 2015 15:29, Dmitry Boyarintsev wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 9:29 AM, Tomas Hajny <XHajT03 at hajny.biz> wrote:
>
>> How should the linker know which of the equally named symbols should be
>> linked in out of those equally named object files then?
>>
>> Let me ask you this: why should they be equally named?

First, the two units serve as interfaces to the same external library,
thus they provide the same functions with the same parameters. Second,
they even come from the same original codebase, so even the functionality
added on top of what is included in the external library probably matches
at least partly. Rules defined in the compiler for naming symbols in
object files are deterministic - the same function header in a unit having
the same name would always get the same symbol. Thus at least some of the
symbols would be equally named in those two object files.

Tomas