[fpc-pascal] Re: How does FPC calculate linker search paths upon -XP?

Bruce Tulloch pascal at causal.com
Thu May 23 14:03:32 CEST 2013

So it looks like -XR is not the solution for cross-compiling, at least in
my case.

The compiler option I used:

-XR/usr/local/opt/chroot/raspbian/rootfs

seems to break when the linker encounters a linker script that specifies a
new path for the actual library object required; these generated paths are
not prepended when using -XR.

Instead one needs to use --sysroot so I've replaced this one line with:

-Xd
-k--sysroot=/usr/local/opt/chroot/raspbian/rootfs
-Fl/usr/local/opt/chroot/raspbian/rootfs/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf
-Fl/usr/local/opt/chroot/raspbian/rootfs/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf

disabling the default paths and making explicit the paths one actually
requires. I still don't understand how FPC generates the search paths per
my previous email but at least this alternative, verbose though it is,
seems to work.

Is this the correct (i.e. "best practice") solution?

Thanks, Bruce.